Search the OLC Website by
grade level, theme or key word! Use the Google Search on our
main page or the Online Resources page to locate resources quickly
THIS MONTH'S FEATURED RESOURCES:
Ready For The Olympics - The Olympic
Games create a wonderful opportunity to teach our students in unique
and interesting ways. Get ready for Winter Olympics 2010 in Vancouver, BC, Feb. 12th to 28th.
January Resources - Winter's snow
and chilly temperatures offer a teachable moment that should not be
missed. The lessons and resources on this page are meant to help all
educators bring the wonder of winter into their classrooms!
- Consider using
a digital projector to project the multimedia items for entire class
viewing (Flash movies, interactive tours, graphing activities, etc).
- Many of the
sites have printable resources for students and teacher facilitated
- Send home website
addresses connected to your classroom topics in your newsletters
or list them on your classroom websites. Parents and students can
explore the sites from home.
- Consider assigning
websites for additional practice, a place to begin research, or
as an enrichment activity.
- Use online
resources as CARE partner activities.
Web Sites for
Teachers and Students
Century Technology and Marzano’s Effective Teaching Strategies
– A wonderful shared presentation! Technologies
mentioned in this presentation:(Continued from
- Nonlinguistic Representation
- Graphic Organizers
- Bubbl.us –
Free online graphic organizer
Meister – online mind mapping tool
– online diagram software
– Online diagrams and design
- Inspiration –
visual thinking and learning tool – on the K-8
- Kidspiration –
visual learning for literacy and numeracy skills
for K- Gr. 5 students - coming soon on some of
the K-8 minis
– Cartoon strip creator
3 for Windows – great for digital storytelling
- Available on the Dell minis
- PhotoPeach – Create slideshows
- MAKE BELIEFS COMIX!- Online
Educational comic generator for kids of all ages
– a way to share photos online
- Ed.VoiceThread – Share
images, documents and videos.
– Create interactive stories, art, etc.
- DoInk –
Create custom animations
- ReadWriteThink: Literary
Doodle - Pairs an online drawing space with writing
Box - Tools
for you to build up an argument or description of an event,
person or historical period by placing items in a virtual
- Animoto –
Make 30 sec videos – free to all users
- Slideshare - Upload and share your
PowerPoint presentations, Word documents and Adobe PDF’s.
Share publicly or privately.
- Smilebox - Combine your photos and music
to slideshows, ecards, postcards and more.
- Cooperative Learning
- The Amanda Project - An interactive website and eight-book series
for readers aged 13 & up. Readers are invited to become
a part of the story as they help the main characters search
– Collaborate online diagrams and design.
– Collaborative Storytelling
- Webspiration - Think visually and work collaboratively online.
- Generating and Testing Hypothesis
- Cues, Questions and Advance Organizers
- Webspiration- Think visually and work collaboratively online.
Anywhere -Create diagrams online and collaborate!
- Exploratree - A
free web resource where you can access a library of ready-made
interactive thinking guides or organizers.
- Google Wonder Wheel - Shows
related search terms to the current searched query and thus enable
you to explore relevant search terms which might be the ones you
originally wanted to search for, or simply give you more options
to gain more information.
- It’s Google, but Squared!
– The search results are presented in a table organized by
- A free website that creates "word clouds" or "tag clouds". Simply
copy/paste text and in seconds Wordle gives you a visual representation
of word frequency.
- Wallwisher - An online noticeboard
maker where a group of people can easily communicate with each other
by sticking virtual notes. These notes can have text, images or
include online videos such as from YouTube. It's basically an electronic
wall upon where students and teachers can share questions, notes
- Web 2.0: Cool Tools for
Schools – Links to lots of Web 2.0 tools – broken
- GeoGebra - is free and multi-platform
dynamic mathematics software for learning and teaching. Check out
their screenshots and examples.
Best Blogs for School Librarians - Excellent reference resources
for learning about everything from library technology to young adult
- Inspired Picture Writing
- Remember poetry fridge magnets? Try it online with pictures. Drag
and drop the images and the words or you can go ‘freestyle’
and add your own text. Images can be saved and easily embedded into
a blog, etc.
- Spelling City – Online spelling
and word games
Playground – Practice math skills, word problems and logic
- Inkless Tales - Animated Alphabet,
Online Stories, Games, Songs and Learning Fun!
If you would like to contribute
websites, lesson plans or ideas on how you have used online resources in your classroom,
send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
issues of newsletters at http://olc.spsd.sk.ca/news.htm
Feel free to forward this
newsletter onto friends and colleagues!
received this forwarded newsletter and would like to sign up for
further updates: click here: